[-A personal exploration in objective & subjective morality, philosophy, spirituality, religion and a lack thereof-]

7/19/2011

[-Gender Identity is BS-]

Often, people who place themselves in these categories, are activists in sexual equality. I, myself, used to number among them, considering myself “bigendered”, before really breaking it down and finding that, by saying I was bigendered, I wasn’t saying much, but at the same time I was feeding the ideas that I was trying to fight - the idea that it *mattered*. Here I will state how I feel about these “gender” roles hopefully without ranting pointlessly on the topic.

“Gender” has a lot of definitions which are constantly evolving, so it’s difficult to pin down what it is.

I find “sex” to be a more suitable word for what we physically are, denoted by our chromosomes. If you have a penis and no vagina, you‘re a male. If you have a vagina and no penis, you‘re a female.  If you have a combination going on down there, you‘re intersexual. It has nothing to do with what you wear, how much you can lift, how much you cry during romantic comedies, or your tendency to be dominant or submissive.

“Gender”, for me, is entirely a social construct, one that, in my “humble” opinion, is about as useful as Christianity. It tells individuals what they should be based on, but unrelated, to their pieces. I have yet to find a single mental characteristic in anyone that seems to be along the “gender roles” that could not be explained by societal influence. Feel free to challenge me on this, as I could be incorrect, but of the documentaries I’ve watched, they’ve mostly stated that there is very little difference in our brains. Young boys were shown to have slightly better spatial skills and girls were shown to be slightly better in language, but with equal education, these minor difference vanished quickly. Additionally, in studies done where a male was raised as a stereotypical female, believing he was a girl, he had no issues with “gender identity”. So unless he just happened to be that rare transgendered male, this demonstrates that children are, at least mostly, whatever they are raised to be. Nature exists, but nurture is stronger.

If these people who identify as “transgendered” or “transsexual” or any of the variety of genders out there that are something other than male or female want to win the equality war, they should simply drop the titles and realize that it doesn’t matter how they act. It would be like blacks arguing that they were different than whites based on more than their skin color and spouting that as pro-equal rights propaganda. But they don’t. The only thing different about a black individual is their skin color. Everything else that has happened to them as a race is because of what prejudice has done to quite a lot of them. Society fucked them, and I firmly believe it will be a while before they manage to crawl into true equality. Let’s drop the titles when there is no meaning to them.


Preferences are just that, but some are harder to change:

Look at the following scenario: You have a man that defines himself as gay. He is not sexually attracted to redheads, and he also finds people who are underweight to be unattractive. So, here we have three preferences for sexual attractiveness: Not too skinny, not a redhead, and not female. Some of these might be more predominant than others, but they really are just preferences. …And yes, scientists say they think “gay” is genetic, and that’s fine. A lot of preferences are ingrained.

Now, here is a question, and I am sincerely curious of the answer. Let’s pretend magic exists for a moment here. If you fell in love with someone, (of your sexual preference,) and their sex suddenly changed, would you cease your sexual relationship with them? I understand that your preference is on the genetic level, but we as humans have a lot of ability to change, even neurologically. My answer would be, “It would be bothersome at first, but I would retain the relationship; love is not so shallow.” However, I am not an appropriate person to answer this question, because I am bisexual. I much prefer men, but when it comes to love, I don’t put up many boundaries. The only thing that really denotes my “preferences” as far as allowing myself to fall in love, (as much as that can be allowed,) is my moral code.

WTF insurance:

Sex changes are covered by Canadian health insurance… because having more of the qualities of what society has claimed a female is and being really depressed about it is a medical condition that’s important to treat.

And yet, my fiance can’t get a general practitioner and hasn’t had one for years. When he goes to a clinic, he waits there for hours, (sometimes not even getting in before they close,) only to be told that he needs to see someone else for the issue or is given a prescription he can’t afford and sent home.

If we slaughtered gender roles, would these men and women still need to change their junk to stop their depression?  I think if therapists started advocating, “there isn’t a damned differences” rather than reinforcing these roles, we’d have fewer depressed people who feel they need to hide things about themselves unless they get some fake tits and hormone injections.

Will I ever put my son in a dress?:

Probably not, at least not to school. (I will now, as he is a baby.) Unfortunately, even as someone who hates gender roles, I still have to conform to them somewhat, even if I stretch them. Personally, for me, I don’t hide anything. Females have it easier there - we might be “picked on”, but we can pretty much do whatever we want, dress however we want, and it still fits into some accepted stereotype of women, (at least in this society.) Tomboys are not uncommon. Guys, on the other hand, have to deal with being insulted constantly if they show their emotions. And why wouldn’t I put my son in a dress? To save him from the embarrassment of these fucked up societal rules. Hopefully, we’ll keep stretching the rules gradually until they break. After all, there was a time before pants were even invented. Some guys look good in dresses. Some girls don’t. Proper grooming can do a lot.

Fighting being female:

I used to try to be as “male” as possible when I believed in gender roles. I hated being classified as a girl, and all the dogma that accompanied it, so I denied all “girl” activities that I liked. But, like I said, this isn’t how the fight for equality needs to be undertaken. We all need to accept all parts of ourselves, not placing those traits into categories based on our genitalia. I like to cook, play video games, sew, rough house, look at naked women in provocative positions, decorate my surroundings, take care of my children, roleplay, have sex, garden (and other yard work,) woodwork, draw, write, and an immense amount of other things. I prefer pants, as I hate undergarments, but dresses don’t bother me like they used to, because I’m not fighting anything. They can be quite comfortable. Hell, peacocking is fine with me, too, as long as there is no set sex-based standard.

So that sums up my rant for today. Hopefully I’ll have something more insightful and organized next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment